This is only here in case any of my variety of friends or family ask about stuff. It gets put together from bits of emails when solicitous folk ask — as, very kind of them, some occasionally do. Rather than hunt through previous emails if someone asks about something someone else has asked about a few years earlier, I put stuff here, and health is like other things: coverage is uneven, haphazard, just what has cropped up.

I was very lucky with my health all my life, until mid 2017. For example I did not, like so many children including some of my siblings, have to go into hospital as a child and lose my tonsils; nor did I ever need anything else done to me — until I was 50, .

It is easy to see why, so far (to November 2018), I have never been an in-patient anywhere. I have been into hospital as a day-patient going home afterwards only three times, twice for cataract operations (on my two eyes a dozen years apart), and once after being rushed in by ambulance after a small fall from a ladder while cutting down a tree, to be checked over (I was apparently turning blue at the mouth when found) before being sent home with some painkillers at 3 a.m. (13th..14th June 2008).

When I moved to my home in Headley Down, east Hampshire in July 1983, I signed on at the local NHS GP surgery, and the doctor who had me on his list was my GP until some time in 2015 when he retired. I rarely saw him. I had a general check-up sometimes, and he found I had high blood pressure; and when I had eye tests with an optician I was found to have cataracts, and the GP was notified and in due course I had surgery for them at Frimley Park Hospital.

When a new GP took over my bit of his list, almost on the first day she saw me after having her reception call me in for an annual check-up, she was moved to have some pathology done to try to find the cause of the chronic hypertension, and she sent me to Frimley Park Hospital for an appointment in October 2015 with an endocrinology consultant. I saw such a consultant twice more but nothing was identified. Then in November 2017 I was sent to Frimley Park Hospital again to see an acute medicine consultant about what was ssubsequently diagnosed (by different acute medicine consultants) first as heart failure and then as possible Myasthenia gravis. Those were the first two hypotheses to test for to find out why, as I had found in September 2017, I had lost all the strength in many of my muscles and could not do ordinary things easily any more. I had been struggling with things like buttoning clothes, tying shoe laces, opening food packets (I had to use pliers; sometimes I could not even work scissors) and ... just eating. I tell the start of that story in Heart failure? Health story December 2017
and later stages in the updates on 20th December 2017, 29th January 2018, and 5th April 2018.

So my life has not been entirely without health problems. I have written notes on some general things and then on the major story that took over in 2018:

Update Saturday 27th February 2021
Update Wednesday 5th August 2020
Update Saturday 23rd May to Saturday 13th June 2020
Update Saturday 28th March 2020
Update Monday 2nd March 2020
Update Saturday 15th February 2020
Update Saturday 25th January 2020

Update Monday 5th November 2018
Update 23rd May 2018
Update 5th April 2018
Update 29th January 2018
Update 20th December 2017
Heart failure? Health story December 2017